Laser Welding Benefits
Laser welding is a proven joining method for a variety of today's metals and metal alloys. Various grades of stainless steel, titanium, inconel, and super alloys have been successsfully welded with the laser. Its precision, repeatability, and high process speeds offer a unique alternative to Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) welding, Electron Beam (EB) welding, resistance welding, brazing, silver soldering, and adhesive bonding. The laser is particularly ideal for high production volumes associated with fully automated or semi-automated tooling applications.
Laser welding, in its most common form, occurs when the laser is used as an intense energy source to selectively heat materials to a point between their melting and vaporizing temperatures. Once molten, the materials are allowed to alloy and then resolidify in a controlled atmosphere. The result is a reliable, oxide-free weldment.
Unlike many of the other joining processes, the overall size and depth-to-width ratio of the weld nugget can be custom tuned in laser welding. By adjusting various parameters such as the laser energy and focal point position, one can create weld ratios ranging from wide and shallow to narrow and deep. In most cases the part geometry dictates this ratio.
- Minimal part distortion - Due to small Heat Affected Zones (HAZ).
- Weldability near heat sensitive components - Due to small HAZ.
- Weldability in otherwise hard to reach areas - Due to a non-contact operation.
- No secondary clean-up required - Due the absence of filler metals.
- Repeatable weld placement - Due to the computer-controlled process.
- Consistent weld depth and width control - Due to power output controls.
- Cost Competitive - Due to minimal set-up time, low fixturing costs, and high feed rates.
- Hermetically sealed pump rotors.
- Welded motor and transformer lamination stacks.
- Precision welded medical and dental instruments.
- Hermetically sealed pressure vessels.
- Hermetically sealed pressure sensors.
- Precision welded thermocouples.
- Automotive fuel filter assemblies.
- High volume commercial applications.
|Home | About Us | Back To Technical Library | Contact Us|
Copyright © 1996-2017 JobShop.com. All Rights Reserved.
General or Technical Questions? E-mail support@JobShop.com